Friday, March 27, 2009

Picnic in Santa Elena, Chiapas

March 26, 2009
When was the last time you laid on the ground looking up at the sky? Today, for me. Sergio took me to a current school project to ck on his mason and compadre worker about 15 minutes outside of San Cristobal. They marked the ground and are in the process of digging a ditch for the foundation. Sergio brought the workers tortillas, queso, jalapenos, and soda for a small picnic. Afterwards, we relaxed in the warm mountain sun. This is where my back rested in the dirt covered in pine needles looking at the sun through the trees.









I have spent almost 3 weeks with Sergio and am getting the complete picture of his mission. His passion is so strong he seems undeterred by any hindrance, from police stops and having to pay mordidas (bribe), or lack of funds for his school projects, he always finds a way. He tells me the most important thing in life is health and education, I couldn’t agree more. There are currently 3 school projects in the works, 2 of them need water systems and of course he has the ongoing medical care that consumes most of his time.





The man is indefatigable…however today I caught him in the rare position of resting during our picnic.





Beautiful large turkeys roam countryside.

No comments: