Sunday, March 15, 2009

San Cristobal, Segundo Vez

March 15, 2009

We are back in San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico. We were here last November. The city is still as picturesque as before and the indigenous Chiapanecas are still hard at work.

Pat has hooked up with Sergio Castro once more and each day she and Sergio are traveling to the various villages to treat the burn and various wounds of the indians. At the end of the day Pat is "wore out". A term I usually employ after following her around for a day. But if Pat has 3 times the energy that I do then Sergio has twice Pat's energy. Some days Sergio tells Pat that he'll take it from here to let her go rest.

The pictures that Pat takes of Sergio's patients are hard to look at. Some horrible injuries. Sergio is a true angel...and that is exactly what the indians call him.

Sergio and Pat also traveled to a remote indian village this last week to discuss the buiding of a school for children. Not only does he treat their wounds but builds schools also. He is 68 years old.


One hundred eighty-five children of the village of Santa Ana need a 3-room school. Sergio was asked to meet with villagers and school teachers to plan the location and building. In background village leaders are in white wool garb.

Pat and I have been trying to figure out how to help Sergio a little more and in doing so last night I asked him if he had thought about who he might pass his work along to after he was gone. He said without any hesitation that he had about 40 more years of good work left in him. He is an amazing guy.


We will be here for another month before heading to Oaxaca City to meet up with Pat's nephew Ricky and his better-half Catherine.

Hungry Mexican cat...we see many hungry domestic animals in Mexico.

My left arm is getting slowly better with daily exercise. I found a medico terapista to help me here in SC. Jesus applies the electro-therapy pads to my arm and turns up the juice. You are supposed to indicate when you first feel the current then say "Mas"(more) until you feel that it's enough juice. So I keep saying "Mas" about 4 times while he looks at me quizically, knowing that most intelligent people would have "Massed" once or twice. So he leaves me and everything is pretty cool for about 10 minutes but then all of a sudden my left arm muscle, or whats left of it, starts to spasm. I'm thinking that hey this might just fix the whole problem...you know what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...so I stick with another 2 or 3 minutes. Idiot! Pretty soon I relent and call to Jesus..."Jesus, abajo, abajo"(down, down). My arm was jumping around like it had a life of it's own. Anyway it was pretty sore the rest of the day but today I could actually raise it higher than before.

No comments: