Friday, April 17, 2009

San Cristobal to Oaxaca

April 16, 2009


5 y/o nino, burned by boiling water on chest and both arms. He never squirmed, wimpered or fought us as we took care of his wounds. It was his 12 y/o aunt that showed up at Sergio's museo at 9am asking us to come see him.

Our last week in San Cristobal passed quickly. It was “Semana Santa” and the town was alive and active with tourists, musical events and a parade. Sergio and I were busy as usual and had an additional two cases to our already busy days: one 3 year-old that was burned with boiling water (1st & 2nd superficial burn on his chest, arms and hands) and one bed-ridden elderly woman with a superficial bed ulcer. It was a bit sad leaving Sergio and I know he appreciated the help. I plan to return in September with more (and better) supplies that will improve upon the care he is already giving.





We headed to Oaxaca dreading having to go through the Straight of Tehuantepec; only because of the military stops. Sure enough we were stopped and searched near San Pedro Tapanatepec (close to the same place the officer took a “gift” previously). This time we were on to their ploy….which seemed a bit more rehearsed than I recall. We gave smiles and kind greetings as they pulled us over and asked us to get out. The lead searcher came to my door and quickly started rummaging through all the van pockets, nook and crannies. I stayed close to the searcher, watching him while the other men started asking me a bunch of friendly questions, obviously trying to distract me from looking. Bruce was watching another searcher on his side and followed him to the back of the van.
The searcher on my side picked up my camera case, open it, and I could not see what he did afterwards. He went though my purse twice…it was full with nothing important as we kept all our money on our person. After he was out of the way I explained to the two distracters what I had been doing in San Cristobal and grabbed my camera to show them pictures of the burn patients I had recently taken. To my relief the camera was still there. If the searcher took anything it wasn’t important, but one thing was clear: they were searching to take something. He found the mag light and the leatherman, examined them closely, asking “cuanto cuesta” for the mag light. I said not for sale. I don't think they appreciated gruesome photos I was showing them and they quickly let us on our way.

We stayed in Santo Domingo Tehuantepec at an over-priced nice cross-roads hotel that charged an extra 20 pesos for internet use. We thought about sleeping in the van but it was just too hot. We paid handsomely for the air conditioned room and enjoyed a good nights’ sleep after eating at their restaurant (which was excellent..a reminder that we were back in Oaxaca).

The van turned over 100,000 miles on Mexican Hwy 190 from Tehuantepec to Oaxaca. So far since we left Washington State we’ve put over 18,000 miles on the van and with a few repairs here and there, it’s held up well….it’s getting close to half-way through it’s life.

By 230pm we made it to Oaxaca de Juarez (city), easily checked in to our hotel and got comfortable. Our visitors from NYC, my nephew and his girlfriend, arrive on Saturday so we’ll hang out here until next Tuesday, then on to Puerto Escondido.

No comments: