Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Homer to Anchor Point, Alaska

August 10, 2008 Sunday

We slept in this morning to almost 9 am. On a whim I turned on the van’s TV and the PGA Championship was starting...and I had a great picture. Pat decided to indulge me by doing the laundry and taking a shower while I watched golf in the van.

So I am in the laundry parking lot watching golf, the views of the mountains out the van window is spectacular, Pat is taking a shower ($6!) and doing the laundry ($4 a load!), and we have a great internet connection. If just one more thing happens this may be the best day of the trip. Then I look into the field next to the laundry and out step 2 moose. Big moose. Bingo, I think we have a winner. I walk up to them to take several pictures but instead of them walking away the largest one starts walking towards me. Since Bullwinkle out weighs me probably 6 to 1, I retreat. Beautiful animals and very healthy looking…probably would have kicked my ass and had his way with me.

Photo left: Bullwinkle giving Bruce the stink eye.

We drove north out of Homer to Anchor Point and finally found a sign noting the road as the westerly most highway in North America. Success! We also decided to spend the night at the Halibut Campground in Anchor Point. Fishermen everywhere and a nice couple brought us some delicious grilled Halibut to where we were sitting on a bench waiting for the sun to go down. I reciprocated by giving their 3 kids some of my double fudge cookies.
Photo left: Fisherman filleting halibut like a surgeon, note forearms are as big as Pat's thighs. The fish was delicious!






The sunset over the Aleutians was spectacular.

Sergio should take up tennis.

No comments: