Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Portage Lake Near Whittier


August 11, 2008 Monday

We had decided to drive the 100 or so miles to Whittier. We stopped at the Safeway in Soldonta to stock up the refrigerator and were pleasantly surprised to find that Safeway has WiFi. There goes a couple of hours checking email, updating the blog, checking stocks, reading the NY Times, etc.


At Whittier we planned to explore the town then jump the Alaskan Marine ferry to Valdez but we got sidetracked…again. The weather was so nice and the mountains surrounding Portage Lake were so beautiful that we opted to camp at the Williwaw Campground and get in a hike to the Byron Glacier. It was well worth the stop and we played on the ice in perfect weather and blue skies.


Pat is practicing her flute as I type this and it is amazing how I can tune her out when needed. Her playing has improved dramatically and I can now identify most of the songs she is practicing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

trisha is playing the flute? cool! glad you are able to "tune her out" at will! ;)

catherine said...

If you pass by (or have passed by) Girdwood, just north of Whittier on the Seward Highway, that's where I lived for a summer! I love hearing about all the places you're visiting that I have such good memories of. Byron Glacier is beautiful. Definitely get that ferry to Valdez, it's my favorite town in the area; the views are breath-taking! ...love the bit about the flute. I tried the violin for years as a child and my family became master tuner-outers.